Open topic with navigation
FYIs are notifications and automatic actions in your trading account based on your portfolio, order history and trading activity that are designed to help you stay on top of relevant dates and events. FYIs are intended as a convenience; do not rely on them as a comprehensive or primary source of information.
The IB FYI page includes the following notifications and automatic actions:
- Borrow Availability - Notifies you when a borrow becomes available in shares that you were unable to short last week.
- Option Expiration Notification - Notifies you three days before US options expire.
- Takeovers - Notifies you that a company in which you hold positions is the target of a takeover. This notification is turned on by default.
- Earnings - Notifies you of upcoming earnings announcements from any of your holdings.
- Mutual Fund Advisory - Notifies you if there is an ETF comparable to your mutual fund holding.
- Dividends - Notifies you if a US option position is projected to be economically beneficial for early exercise or assignment.
Dividends - Automatically exercise US dividend-related stock and ETF options. If you select this Automatic Action, IB's system will determine whether is likely to be beneficial to you to exercise call options early, using predefined mathematical criteria and based on well-established theories of option pricing and efficient markets. The system will then send you a notification two days before the stock trades ex-dividend and, if the determination remains favorable, automatically exercise the option early with no action required from you.
All customers who can trade US dividend-related options are eligible for this automatic action EXCEPT:
- Japan accounts
- India accounts
- UK passport country residents
- UKL standalone accounts
- Hong Kong residents
- Australian residents
- Economic Event Order Suspension - Twenty seconds before a major economic event, pauses all of your active orders for 40 seconds. Once you enable this automatic action in Account Management, you will receive bulletins inside the trading platform which report the times and descriptions of the economic events. Economic events include GDP, non-farm payrolls, PPI, CPI and so on.
To set FYI options
- Click Manage Accounts > Trade Configuration > IB FYI.
- Click the check box next to the notification and/or automatic action you want to enable. Deselect a check box to disable a notification and/or automatic action.
- Click Submit.